Friday, April 22, 2011

c'est la vie

Alice: That’s the most stupid expression in the world. ‘I fell in love’ - as if you had no choice. There’s a moment, there’s always a moment; I can do this, I can give in to this or I can resist it. I don’t know when your moment was but I bet there was one.
Anna: Yes, there was.
Alice: You didn’t fall in love, you gave in to temptation.

-Closer by Patrick Marber
-----

Zedka: Do you remember the first question I ever asked you?
Veronika: Yes, you asked me if i knew what being mad meant?
Zedka: Exactly. This time I'm not going to tell you a story. Madness is the inability to communicate your ideas. It's as if you were in a foreign country, able to see and understand everything that's going on around you, but incapable of explaining what you need to know or of being helped, because you don't understand the language they speak there.
Veronika: We've all felt that.
Zedka: And all of us, one way or another, are mad.

-Veronika decides to die by Paulo Coelho

"She hated the love she had been given, because it had asked for nothing in return, which was absurd, unreal, against the laws of nature. That love asking for nothing in return had managed to fill her with guilt, with a desire to fulfil another's expectations, even if that meant giving up everything she had dreamed of for herself. It was a love that for years had tried to hide from her the difficulties and the corruption that existed in the world, ignoring the fact that, one day, she would have to find this out, and would then be defenceless against them."

-Veronika decides to die by Paulo Coelho

i feel like dog-earing so many pages in this book just so that i can go back to my favourite paragraphs and read them over and over again but i somehow can't bear to deface my book like that.

and i really feel like changing this ghastly blogskin.