Friday, February 25, 2011

when you know nothing at all


i wanted to post something as a reminder to myself the other day but never got to doing it. but i guess there isn't much time to do that today too so i shall try to not... ramble :/ (omg blood donation was rather surreal)

anyway, it's strange how the people who should be the ones encouraging you turn out to be the ones who make you doubt yourself the most. they'll never see these words, but thanks for all the constant reminders to "stop pretending, you know you can't do it". many years ago i thought i wanted something but you all told me that i didn't actually want it, so geez okay maybe i didn't know myself and you guys knew better.

that said and half a lifetime of doubting myself later, i realise that i do still want that, so i think it's time for you people to shut the fuck up and not tell me what i care and not care about. you don't know me anymore. perhaps you did when i was younger, but i've changed and it's time that you stop acting like you know better. you really don't, because you only see what you want to see. but warped as it is, i'm still thankful because the self-doubt and self-reflection only helped me better understand myself. i know what a terribly flawed person i am and there's no need for you to throw it at me every single day. and really, please don't presume you know the motivation behind my very action because honestly, you couldn't be more wrong.

some part of me wonders if i turned out the way i am because of what you said, that i don't care because you told me that i didn't, that i'm lazy and self-centered and irresponsible and goal-less and shallow and useless because you told me that was the kind of person i am. but that's just me trying to push the blame to you and self-fulfilling prophecies, because in the end i guess it's my fault for being so weak-minded that i believed everything you told me.

that stops now though, because i'm not some impressionable young kid anymore and i don't want to be the kind of person that you say i am.

"The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of star stuff."
- Carl Sagan